Tuesday 12 March 2013

Combination prints with Body Parts

Using the photographs of body parts I exposed them for the correct settings of exposure 12, aperture 16, filter 5. Using a dodging tool I dodged the part of the body I wanted to expose the meat to. I then changed the negative and lined it up with where I wanted to expose the image. I cut a circle out of black card and moved it in circles above the photographic paper while the image is being exposed so that the image would only appear in the section I wanted it to. I then put in it the develop until it was fully developed then moved it into the stop, then into the fix then into the wash. 

The first image did not work that well because the circle I cut out of black card was too large so it exposed to a larger area. Taking this on board I cut out a smaller circle out of black card and exposed the image through it. This worked better the second time and looks like you can see through the leg. This is the effect I wanted to achieve. I then tried with different parts of the body such as stomach and head. The stomach worked well as I had a larger area to expose in. Also the way the liver is shaped makes it look like insides. I exposed minced meat into the forehead to make it look like a brain. This didn't work particularly well because the minced meat is the wrong way round for it to look more natural. 








I experimented digitally on Photoshop to get the same effect of looking through the skin. I opened both images in Photoshop, drew round the image of the meat using the lasso tool, selected part of the forehead then pasted the image into the selected area. I changed the feather of the shape to make it smoother. I also created a skull effect inspired by Carsten Witte by following a tutorial on Youtube. This links to my theme quite literally of Inside, Outside, In between as you can view from the outside someones appearance, but never the inside, or in between. These images show the inside and outside of the human body. I think that the  darkroom prints look better than the digital ones as they look more realistic as it fades into the insides whereas the digital ones look like an images had been pasted straight on top. 




1 comment:

  1. It would be good for you to try this idea digitally in Photoshop - there is a double exposure tutorial on our YouTube channel - if unsure come and see me.

    ReplyDelete