Saturday 29 September 2012

Darkroom Experimentation - Solarisation

Solarisation is an effect whereby the tones are partially reversed, dark areas appear light and light areas appear dark. I created this effect by choosing an image with high contrast. The first step I did was expose the image for the correct exposure time, in my case it was 7 seconds, I then placed it in the develop until the image started to appear. I then quickly took it over to an enlarger with a aperture of 2.5 and exposed my print to the light for 1 second. I then placed it back into the develop tray until I was happy with the outcome. I then moved it into the stop then into the fix and lastly wash. It was quite hard to judge whether it had worked well in the darkroom, so after I had made the print I took it outside into the light to see if it had worked well. 
Below are some of my first attempts of solarising my prints. The church worked well as the trees are outlined with a glow and the sky is quite dark which made it have a spooky ghostly effect. I'm not quite sure what solarising is meant to look like as my prints came out different every time I tried but I am happy with what I have achieved so far.




 The house came out slightly different with only the shadows being solarised.






No comments:

Post a Comment