Wednesday 3 October 2012

Toning Prints

To tone prints I used food dye and water. I placed my black and white image into a tray and dripped 3 drops of food colouring onto the image, I then wet my brush a little and evenly brushed the food colouring across the image. I waited for it to dry then applied a second coat of food colouring.
For the image below I chose one of my images that I had faded on the edges. I think this works well as you can see the colour that I used more clearly compared to others I experimented with. 
For the image below I used green food colouring. It is quite hard to see the colour applied to this photograph  even after applying two coats. I found that green and yellow did not work well with the photographs as they were quite light and opaque. 

 To the image below I applied red food colouring, It is very vibrant as I applied 3 coats and used less water to spread it. I prefer the more subtle tones as you can't see the brush marks and doesn't draw your attention away from what the image actually is. 

 Toning Prints in Photoshop
To tone a photograph in Photoshop I first converted it into black and white. Next I went to the Image menu > Adjustments > Photo Filter. I played around with different filter colours and the density of the colour until I was happy with it. I think toning prints on Photoshop is an easier way than handmade toning prints as you can choose what exact colour you want, the opacity of it and also the areas for the colour to go. 



1 comment:

  1. Conclude by making a comparison between the handmade/digital toned prints? Which do you prefer? Why? Were the techniques effective? What does the colour do to the image - does it make the viewer look at them differently?

    ReplyDelete