Wednesday 2 May 2012

Darkroom Experimentation

In the darkroom I experimented with different techniques to see what the outcomes were like. I may carry these forward into using them for my final outcome. 
This experimentation I used the dodging and burning technique. I exposed the plane to one half of the photographic paper then moved it over and exposed the other half of paper. To make it look like there are two planes I dodged the first half that I had exposed so that it would come out with the same contrast and timings as the second plane. However there was a slight overlap in the centre where the two planes crossed. 
I experimented with making reversals of my images, I only experimented with two because I was specifically interested in seeing what the image of the people in gas masks would look like. The newspaper reversal was experimenting with another print. I think that the reversal of the people in gas masks look quite daunting and emphasise on what it would have been like in the war. 

For this print I experimented with solarisation. This was done by exposing my image to the paper for the correct amount of time them putting it in the develop for a few seconds then putting it under a light for a few seconds then putting it in the stop bath for the correct amount of time then in the fix then in the wash. 

For the next two print I experimented with exposing my image on the photographic paper then placing newspaper in the negative carrier then exposing it. I had to half the time that I would usually expose my print for otherwise it would turn out really dark. For this print I exposed the newspaper first before I exposed my print. 
On my second experiment I exposed my print first without the newspaper in the negative carrier, then placed the newspaper back in the negative carrier and exposed it for the remainder of the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment